Day 1 – A Chat With The Blue Cyclist

The Story Behind The Scenes

By Daniel

Original Posting Date: March 16 2009

Spring Break of 2009 started and I found myself bored. Very bored. One evening I found myself searching for something to do when I uncovered our camera. As soon as I saw it ideas started rushing through my head. I brought it to my room, grabbed a blank DV tape and started recording. I had no idea what the end result would be.

Over the course of two days I filmed me…. talking to a camera. At first I wanted to do a talk show satire: “Late Nights with Fergie” but that was proving to be impossible with my nephew constantly buzzing around. Next I started filming me wearing different costumes. Seriously, that’s what I was doing.
While looking for costume supplies I came upon an old drawing I had done around New Years time:
Dr. Spoon.

I began to piece together a costume.

That afternoon my dad came to visit, and instead of putting down the camera, I just pointed it at him, and talked to him. When he noticed the camera pointed in his direction he asked me what I was doing. The lines; “I’m working on my documentary about my night job,” that was actually me explaining it to him. You can even see his eyes look up at me in confusion when I say that. He asked me what that was and I told him the first thing that popped into my head, after seeing the Dr. Spoon drawing; being a super hero.

Luckily, my dad is a really good sport about these things, and he played along. If it weren’t for all the really funny things he said, I wouldn’t have the series at all.

After my dad left, I knew exactly what was to happen next in the episode. I found Doug in his room and requested he reprise his role from a murder mystery night he participated in the previous year:

But…. he said no. More specifically, he said later. I’m impatient however, and found a way around it, by simply telling the camera what supposedly happened, rather than showing the audience.

Next step was to get editing. I was fairly new to editing, but I had done it before, so I was sure I could manage. For the title sequence I used mostly those past two days of footage. Overall I actually had about 25 minutes worth of that footage.

I started editing at midnight and when I finally finished it was about 7:15 AM.

My mom came down for work, and was surprised to find me awake. I showed her the video, and got a fairly positive reaction from her. When Doug woke up, I showed him what he had missed out on, and as soon as he saw it, he was on board. After showcasing it to the whole family, and having good laughs, I decided to make more.

I uploaded it onto YouTube, but it didn’t work. I’m still not sure why.

I made my request to Doug again, and this time I had a definitive yes.

Thus ADITLOASH was born.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *